Fabric Pennant Garlad {tutorial}


I whipped this up for a baby shower decoration that can then be used in baby's room.  I'm making the bedding as a gift to my friend, so snagged some scraps for this.  (This is also sewing challenge #14.)

Supplies:
Fabric
1/2" double fold bias tape (or you can make your own)

How to:

Decide how long you want your garland and make (or cut bias tape) to that length.  I made my bias tape since I had white fabric and it was late at night when I decided to do this (which is pretty much normal for me!) so didn't have the option of running to the store.  I used a manual bias tape maker (first time) and it was kinda fun.  I made single fold, then folded/ironed in half to make double fold bias tape.  Then ending width is 1/2" and its perfect for this size pennant.

I didn't start taking pictures until half way through the project....sorry!
Cut your pennant shapes.  I used this die and love it so much!!!  I made 8, but you can make as many or few as you'd like.  They are 4" across by about 6" high, with tails cut on both ends.



I sewed the bottoms of my pennants together, but you can just as easily leave them be.  Fold your pennant in half then sew a straight stitch down one side, up then down the tail, then back up the other side.  I left the top just folded and didn't stitch it.



An option is to leave a large seam allowance and use your pinking shears on the edges, but I kind of like the shabbyness of the slightly frayed edges.

Once they are all sewn (or not if you choose), then pick your pattern.


Mark the center of your bias tape.


Start pinning the pennants in following your pattern.


I spaced mine 2" apart, but play around with it until its to your liking.  I left about 18" at each end of the bias tape for tying.


Sew it up and tie a knot in each end of the tape.  


Here is it hanging at the shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...