Laundry Room Counter

Its finally done!  My laundry room counter.  This is a project that I have wanted to do since we moved in over 4 years ago.  I knew I wanted some sort of counter over the washer and dryer, but didn't want to pay for it...so I made it myself for about $40 in lumber.

Here's the before.  I had the hubs cut a sheet of MDF to use temporarily, but temporarily turned out to be a long time.  Let me just say that this room is tiny!  So tiny that the door from the living room into it and the door to the garage out of it almost touch when they are both open.  Its really hard to get a picture of the room.
I've been looking at wood table/counter legs to use but they were too expensive.  Luckily I happen to come across these beauties at the antique store where I sell my painted furniture.  They were a titch dirty, but for $5 a piece...Yes.  Please!
Tried them on for size to see where I needed to cut and started building.  
But....since I was getting a new counter, I needed a new color on the wall first.  This is an oops color that I slapped on and LOVED!
Here is the structure underneath.  Screwed into the studs in the back and the legs in front.  (I would love to give you more specifics of exactly how to build it, but I just kind of wung-it.)  I added a couple more cross supports than are showing...just in case.  I knew I wanted the farmhouse table look, so cut and  dry fitted the planks, then painted the boards and built the top in the garage. 
I ended up securing the two strips at the end to make the top removable and not have to worry about scraping the walls if/when I needed to remove the top.  If I made it permanent, something would go wrong with the washer and we'd need to rip it apart.  So...getting a little creative I made the top able to completely lift out.  (Oh and last night....our washer started leaking. :)

The top is one piece, supported with boards perpendicular underneath and put together by pre-driling and screwing from the underside (does that make sense?).  

The best part.....its all level! :)
Here's the after again! 

 Check out the chalkboard labels (which I now sell here.)
This is also the room that I made this pendant light and shade for...
Now on to the other side....its bad.  
Really.  Really.  Bad.  But I have plans.....and I guess it'll make for a great before and after! :)

(I'm sure my mother is grimacing that I dared even post these pictures! ;)

20 comments:

  1. Well done! It all looks great. I think I need a nice jar for my laundry soap--with a chalkboard label of course! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! And I still adore those chalk paint labels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great. I have been thinking of doing something like this for a while. I was going to be totally lazy and just do the MDF board, but now I have no excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! What a great idea that I may like to borrow. Now tell me, is it easy to remove in the event you need to get behind your washer and dryer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. what kind of soap are you using for your washer. I am assuming you have a HE washer and can only use High Efficiency soap. So you make your own?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! We are in the process of fixing our squished laundry room. http://bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! WTG on finding those legs too, they look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously sooo cute...thanks for sharing! Shared it also on my FB page.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is absolutely fabulous! I am sure that the other side of the room will fabulous as well. Will look forward to seeing the re-do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just curious what paint color that is - it looks great in your new laundry room. LMK Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awesome, I plan to do this myself, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this!!! Now I want one in my laundry room!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooo. That is amazing, i love the wall color as well. You lucked out. Congrats on being on u create as well. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm curious too, what is that great color on your wall?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks amazing!!! Smart to make it removable, looks like you've already discovered that :) Love the color too; what a great oops find!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the table and paint color on the wall. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG this is fantastic! I love the wall colors and the legs for the counter top are oooh oooh lovely! I am now following you =) I would be honored to have you link this up to my VIP party today =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/11/vip-party-36.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey again girl. I tried emailing you back but it keeps getting returned to me. If you have another email addy you can send me please do! I'd love to keep in touch =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really should create something of my own. I envy you. :0

    phoenix house painter

    ReplyDelete
  20. What do you do when your washer/dryer fail and need maintenance or need to be replaced?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...