Valentines Day Art - Button Collage Tutorial


This originally started out as an idea to do our monogram...on a pillow.  As you can see, that didn't happen...but it will.  :)  I just didn't have the time to hand sew on this many buttons nor did I have this many of the right color buttons

Supplies:


Ugly frame
Spray paint (not pictured)
Buttons
Glue gun
Canvas

This project was kinda free (can't beat that!) as I had all this stuff around the house.  The frame was a castoff my hubby tied to donate.  I, of course, snagged it out of the box....with his objections.  (No vision!!! :)  The canvas I picked up at a yard sale this summer, buttons I have a ton of (see next pic of my unfinished embellishment center), spray paint left over from this project, and my trusty glue gun.




(I do need to paint and edge the shelves.  Its on my list.)

How to:


See ugly frame?  This is why the hubs tried to get rid of it.  I saw the potential.  After 4 coats of spray paint (ugly spotted gold is hard to get rid of!) it became red.



Dump buttons out.  Form into shape.  Decide on a cute heart!





Find, enlarge, and print out a heart (or you could actually just draw one!)  Fold in half, cut out, open it up and tape it down to the canvas.



Dump out the pile of buttons, and start gluing down the outside line.  When that's done, you can pull off your template.


Enjoy putting your puzzle together and start filling in the shape with buttons.


When its done, you'll have lots of little glue hairs to pull off.  They scrape off pretty easy from the buttons, just use your nails....before your manicure of course.


Pop it in the frame!  Enjoy!


Go show your hubby.  Explain to him that this was all done using supplies you already have.  Shake your head when all he can say is "and why do we have so many red buttons?"


Happy Heart Day!


16 comments:

  1. LOVE this...I'm going to try to make this with my kids today with the red frame i spray painted for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just too cute!!! At first when you said the frame was red it wondered if that was a good idea but you pulled it off!!! I may try something similar...soon!!! Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!!! Thank you for sharing! I am a new follower and am excited to follow your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!! I can't wait to do it with my kids. One question, where do you get all your buttons from? I want to start collecting them for projects but don't want to spend a fortune. :)
    I am following you now. Can't wait to see your next project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea! I have a huge stash of buttons I should use for this. Thanks for sharing the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute - I've been thinking about doing something similar with white buttons on top of a multi-colored background, but I'm loving your red on white!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your ideas and fun valentine decorations. This will be easy and fun to do for the kids, maybe even a different color for each of them. Thanks so much and I just signed up to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is darling...i especially love the husband bit...silly hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute! Going to try this out one day this week! I bet my three year old will love this fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this button heart! So cute!! I featured it on my blog, thanks for the inspiration!

    Lois

    www.auntielolocrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do amazing things when you are not sleeping ;.)

    Thank you for new ideas for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This framed heart you have made from buttons is adorable! I like the different shades of red buttons you used. I hope it is okay, I just couldn't help but feature your pretty framed button heart on my button crafts round-up hub here:

    http://jamiebrock.hubpages.com/hub/Super-Cute-Button-Crafts-Tutorial-Round-Up?done


    Thank you so much for sharing this!

    Jamie

    P.S. LOVE the name of your blog. I can soooo relate :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello!
    Normally I do this through email, but I can't find your email anywhere on your page. I'm a writer for Crafting a Green World and I'm doing a round-up on Friday, July 20th on project ideas for buttons and I think your project would be perfect for this round-up. If you are interested in me featuring your site, all I need is permission to use one of your photos from that post. We always provide a link-back to your site, a photo credit, and a short description. Our goal is to get our readers to check out your tutorial. Please let me know if this is something that interests you. Thanks!!

    -Bonnie @ Crafting a Green World
    www.craftingagreenworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. "and why do we have so many red buttons?" LOL definitely something my hubby would say. :))

    Loved this project, the result was really nice!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...