Hot Therapy Pack - SC#2 {tutorial}

Its cold and flu season (Yay....not!) and that means ear infections for my kiddos.  One thing that seems to help is to have a heating pad on their ear, but I don't want them to sleep all night laying on one plugged into the wall.  So I've improvised.

This one is for  one of my girls and I made it out of a princess print flannel.  (Note: I would not use flannel again, as it kind of pills up with use.)


You just pop it in the microwave for about 45 seconds and its done.  It slowly cools, so they are able to fall asleep and I don't have to remember to go turn off the heating pad.  (Its also great for growing pains.)

Supplies:
Fabric (preferably a cotton, ticking weigh is good)
Rice
Flax seed (optional)

How to:
(I'll take pictures and post the next one I make one.)

Figure out what you want for your finished size (this one is a 5"x5".)  Cut two pieces at 5 1/2"x 5 1/2."

Putting right sides together, sew around the opening with a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving an opening of 1 1/2" on one side.

Clip corners and turn inside out.

(If you're impatient like me, skip this next part.)

Iron seams.

Top stitch around the outside using about 3/16" seam allowance, still leaving that 1 1/2" opening.  When you start and stop this, you'll want to back stitch to secure your stitch.

Using a funnel, insert it into the opening and fill white (uncooked) rice or a combo or rice and flax seed.  You can use rice only, but eventually it will clump together.  (Not sure if "eventually" is after years or months, but that is what "they" said when I googled it.  Not sure who "they" are either, but there was more than one "they".... :)  Flax seed apparently stops the rice from clumping.  I could go into more detail but y'all just want to know how to make them, not the science behind it!

I filled until 3/4"-1" from the top.  I took a longer pin and weaved it across the top (a picture here would really help, sorry!) to keep the rice/flax away from where I was sewing to close.

Top stitch the opening closed.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to see a tutorial on how you did this! Two little sick girls in the house are using one large sack like this made by their great-grandma (out of fleece, instead, but not sure what she put inside it).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...