Crocheted Chevron Blanket

I love this blanket.  

I made it for a friend's baby shower and finished it up just in time to wrap and head out the door! :)  She wanted to put some turquoise in the room and I knew this would be the perfect pop of color for her to throw over the back of the nursing chair.

In posting this, I realized I've never posted a crocheting or knitting project?!?!  The "yarn" projects are usually gifts that I'm scrambling to finish and, unfortunately, don't always get pictures.

I have been crocheting since college.  When I started in college (many moons ago) it was not a "cool" thing to do.  Or at least no one I knew crocheted.  I bought this book, yarn and a hook....and taught myself.  I still have the first blanket I made.  It was a strip blanket and turned out surprisingly even.

Well, I put the hooks away from awhile in lieu of knitting needles, but have recently pulled them all back out.  I forgot how much I enjoyed it.  Plus, it avails me to multi-task.  I can bring these on road trips, to my kids gymnastics meets, soccer games, watching TV, our Homeschool Coop...pretty much everywhere.  I usually keep a project in my purse (as long as they are still small).  

I wish I had a pattern to share, but alas it was so long ago I can't even remember what I did.   (I made this about 6 months ago and totally forgot to write down the specifics on it.  Oops!)  I can tell you that it was crocheted working two strands of yarn together and on average side hook. 
One thing to remember when you look through a book of patterns....look past the colors displayed.  Some of them are really....um....dated.  I took a generic "zig-zag" pattern in the book and decided I would do 4 lines of each color, instead of 2.Also, the pattern in the book didn't have an edging to it.  I think edging it cleans it up a bit so just did an extra row of double crochet around the whole thing. It kinda bothered me that the last chevron stripe was thinner than the rest, but I didn't want the sides too thick.  
 I used generic "Red Heart" yarn, but have since switched to "I Love This Yarn" because it is sooo soft and won't break the bank.  With red heart there is a great way to soften the yarn. 
 Here's my pinterest link to that how to.  Let me know if you try it and if it works!
I've made a few things since this blanket including baby booties, a fun bobble cowl, another baby blanket and some great slippers!  Will post those soon...




3 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful. You are certainly talented. I need to learn to crochet like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! It just takes a bit of practice. :) There are lots of resources online now, but it doesn't hurt to know someone who knows how to crochet.

      Delete
  2. That matches baby girl's room perfectly... just sayin'! ;-P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...